1. Let’s take firmware 5.05 as an example to start tutorial on how to install/ upgrade firmware without internet.
Full version is used for new hard disk with no firmware installed while upgrade version is used for existing hard disk with firmware under 5.05 installed. The name of the update file is PS4UPDATE.PUP.
2. Please save the PS4UPDATE.PUP in UPDATE folder and save the UPDATE folder in PS4 folder and save the PS4 folder in a USB storage device (exFat format).
That means your USB storage deice contains a PS4 folder. The PS4 folder contains an UPDATE folder. The UPDATE folder constains PS4UPDATE.PUP.
3. There are two methods to install the update. The first method is install it from safe mode. To access safe mode, please make sure your PS4 is turn off. Once the PS4 system is off, press and hold the power button again. Release it after you hear the second beep: one beep will sound when you first press, and another seven seconds later.
Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 with the USB cable and your USB storage device (exFat format) and press the PS button on the controller.
4. Please select “Update System Software” and press NEXT to install your 5.05 firmware. Press OK if you encounter “not enough memory” caution. Afterwards, please restart your PS4 and the system firmware should be 5.05.
5. The second method to install firmware 5.05 is turn on your PS4 normally and go to SETTING. Please select “System Software Update” and press NEXT to install it. Press OK if you encounter “not enough memory” caution. Afterwards, please restart your PS4 and the system firmware should be 5.05.
6. After the installation/ upgrade of the firmware, you can now start free play/ jailbreak your PS4.